Now that we're finally forecast some Spring Sunshine, it means it's going to be warm enough to plant into our gardens! Woohoo!
We can't think of a better way to start than with some Summer-Flowering Bulbs - a sure way to guarantee your garden shows off some colour throughout the season.
Follow our guide below for how to plant summer-flowering bulbs straight into the ground in your garden.
Gardening Level: Beginner
What You'll Need:
- Pack of Bulbs - Available in the garden centre from £2.99
- Gardening Gloves - We recommend 'Master Gardener' Thorn-Resistant, Washable Gloves for £4.99
- Automatic Bulb Planter - To avoid back strain, you can try a Crest 'Long Handled' Planter
What to do:
1. Get your gloves on!
2. Find an area in your garden with well-drained soil* and in a sunny position
*If you're not sure, you can do a quick drainage test on your soil - dig a hole and fill with water. If it drains within 10 mins or less then you have fast drainage.
3. Using either your hand-held or long-handled automatic bulb planter, push into the ground and then lift to remove with plug of soil
4. Place bulb in the hole
5. Squeeze handle to release the soil back on top of the bulb
6. Repeat for other bulbs, ensuring they are 12 inches apart from one another
7. Keep well-watered during growth!
We've plenty of bulbs available in packets in our garden centre, including varieties that attract pollinators to your garden! You can read all about the benefits of attracting bees and butterflies to your garden here!